Sunday, June 15, 2008

1st Bee Sting

6/14/08
Mason was so happy playing in the sand with his trucks and shovels. He wanted to help his big brother with the shoveling, but he wasn't making a lot of progress with his little garden shovel. He decided instead to wear daddy's hat and read one of his favorite books, Brown Bear Brown Bear.



After reading he decided to go to the fort. I went out to the garage to find some plastic to lay down on the ground in the sandbox, and all of a sudden I hear Mason screaming!!! I run out there to find Lil O holding him saying "I think he got stung by a BEE!" I quickly took him and started looking all over. He was holding his finger and sreaming 'Bee Bite Me'. I was looking at his finger for a stinger and praying it was a bee and not a black widow! I got him into the kitchen and started making a baking soda paste to put on his finger. Then I noticed a mark under his right eye and it was already swelling! I couldn't see any stingers, so I am now asuming it was a wasp that stung his eye and he grabbed at it and it stung him again on his finger. We got the paste on both areas and I couldn't find any other areas he was complaining about. He was still pretty upset so we got him a popsicle and we sat on the couch with his favorite blanky to watch a movie. I prayed this would help distract him long enough for the paste to do it's job. It did! Once he was calm enough we took the paste off and below his eye was pretty swollen so we got a baggy full of ice for him. I knew he was feeling better when he opened up the baggie and started eating the ice. :)

Here is a picture of his eye, it's kinda hard to see though.



Poor little guy! It reminded me a lot of the times we had to doctor up Zachary when he was younger. Zachary is very, very afraid of bees to this day, in fact when he heard what happened to Mason he just shivered and ran to his room! I really don't like the wasps that fly around here. I know honey bees give us yummy honey, but what do those no good wasps do?!! I'm so happy Mason is feeling much better now.

1 comments:

Tendra said...

Poor Mason. That mean ol' bug! You're right - wasps serve absolutely no purpose on the planet.