Wednesday, May 7, 2008

We Did It

We finally got our garden in! It has taken longer this spring than normal since we have had such crazy weather. I still am not all that confident with the weather reports so I put milk jugs over my plants to protect them.


We planted red potatoes, green peppers, jalapenos peppers, green beans, carrots, walla walla onions, and two different varieties of tomatoes early girl and fantastic. I'm excited and I hope they all make it, last year our garden wasn't producing very well. This year we added some nutrients to the soil and did more prep work. We are going to plant cantelope behind the fruit trees and hope it helps keep some of the weeds down. Also we are taking advantage of Grandma's house just down the road and planting pumpkins, corn, and watermelon.


The boys are very excited. Parker and Mason really wanted to help plant, but were more satisfied digging and piling dirt in places other than the garden. It was funny to watch them, although I don't think Dad was happy about it.
For awhile all the boys were playing in the Tahoe in the garage. But after being locked out, the alarm going off and Zachary burning his finger on the lighter, they were banned from the truck. I felt so sorry for Zachary, he didn't know what it was, and boy does he have a perfect little circle on the top of his thumb. I sure hope it gets better fast, it's on his right thumb and he thinks he won't be able to write (I think he'll be fine). We doctored him up and sent him to bed, we'll see how he is in the morning.

2 comments:

Esther Ogden said...

I would LOVE a garden! You are so lucky having all that great land to plant and harvest! If you get lots and lots and don't know what to do with it all, give me a call! =)

Sara said...

So I guess I don't need to plant a garden this year, looks like you will have enough produce for us all! :)