Thursday, May 22, 2008

5th Grade Cramming Sessions

For the past couple of weeks this is how I find Oscar.



He is cramming for final AR (Accelerated Reader) points. He wanted to break the school record of 743 points. He has been in the lead all year, but now has someone about 100 points behind him. This had made him nervous, so he is cramming to get as many points as possible, and to make sure he is first.





When he first came home and told us about the girl (yes it is a girl) who is trying to catch up he had a plan. This plan would have him reading more than anything else, the only break times would be for sleeping and eating. I told him that was a pretty hefty goal, but we would support him if that was what he wanted. I asked him "So, do you want me to be the mean mom that makes sure you read. Or do you want me to let you play and not read if you don't feel like it?" He answered "The mean mom" I said "Okay so when I say you need to be reading you're not going to get upset?" He said "Yes". So from then on that is what he has been doing, READING. I have only had to remind him a couple of times that I am the 'mean mom' and he starts his reading again.





As of today 5/22/08 he has 801 points and has exactly one week of reading left. If he stays in the lead he will win 1st place in the 5th grade and the school. He will also hold the school record in points, and will have been the only student to win 1st place in each grade (he has won each year since the 1st grade) Keep up the awesome work Lil O

0 comments: