Thursday, April 16, 2009

Prenatal Visit

Tuesday I went in for the dreaded glucose screening test. I really dislike this test, mostly because of the drink they give you, and you have to fast before hand. I thought it would be pretty simple - check in, drink the stuff, see my doctor, and then go draw my blood - 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours tops. Yah right!! I sat in that hospital for 2 hours, and nearly had a panic attack because I knew I had to leave to pick up Parker from kindgergarten.

This always happens on my doctor appointments, the doctor is always running late so I should have expected it. So I got the blasted drink and downed it in 5 minutes like I'm suppose to and off I go with my timer to the doctors across the hall. There I sit for nearly 45 minutes waiting to be seen. The nurse comes to get me and then I sit in the room waiting for the doctor while I watch the minutes tick away on my timer. I waited until 2 minutes and I had to leave, the nurse said she would hold the room. So now I race across the hall trying to beat the timer, which I don't so it starts beeping LOUDLY and I can't turn it OFF!! How embarassing!! The lab people heard me coming though and met me at the door and took the loud thing and silenced it. Thank goodness. I sat down they took my blood and then off to the doctors again. I sat for another 15 minutes. If the doctor hadn't shown up when he did I would have left! Good grief! He measured my tummy, listened to the heartbeat (which was very fast considering all the sugar), I'm sure everything is normal because he doesn't say anything other than see you in 4 weeks.

So for a 3 minute check up it took 1 1/2 hours of waiting, I really don't like that!

To make it all worse I get a call from the nurse yesterday telling me my test results were a little high and they want me to come in for a 3 hour glucose test. GREAT!!! The first thing I did when I got off the phone was cry (of course, I am always crying) then I was mad. I didn't want to take the test and I wanted to be able to eat what I wanted and not worry about it. So I called my sister who has been through this before and had her explain what she could remember. Basically you just have to change your diet a bit AND prick your finger all the time, I'm not looking forward to that. Of course all of this is only if my numbers are high again, I sure hope not! I should have seen this one coming though since I was so sensitve to sugar during my first trimester, and I was starting to get light headed in the hospital after the drink.

I sure hope all will be fine, and most importantly our baby girl will be born healthy and safe. With no more complications along the way. So tomorrow I go in to sit for 3 hours, wish me luck.

1 comments:

Tendra said...

Hey Vicki! Did you have to go back for the second test yet? When I was pregnant with Makenna I failed that glucose test because I took it the day after Easter and, well, obviously I enjoyed a few too many chocolate eggs. But when I took the second one, which is LONG and MISERABLE (sorry, but it is!) I passed it just fine. I'm sure you will, too. Hopefully that sets your mind at ease a little. Hang in there!