Sunday, November 16, 2008

Cops and Robbers

11/15/08

I will remember this night for a long time!!

We got invited to the Dummars for a couples date night adventure. We were told to come dressed warm and wear dark colors and of course to be at their house by 6:00 sharp because we were leaving. So Oscar and I tried to rack our brains about what we would be doing, both of us would end up being WRONG.

We got to the Dummars where she had hired 3 babysitters so we took our kids along too so they could have some fun too. Once everyone was there we had to pick a star or a letter out of a basket. There were 8 couples in all, I picked a star and Oscar picked an 'R'. So then Tiffany explains to us that we are playing a game called Cops and Robbers which I have NEVER heard of before, so I was clueless. Then she started explaining what we had to do. Everyone who had picked a star was a 'Cop', everyone with the letter 'R' was a 'Robber'. Everyone was to drive over to Endeavor Elementary School and the Robbers had to make it on foot to the Church building on Happy Valley (with a 5 minute head start) before the Cops could catch them within a 40 minute time frame. The cops could only have two cars and in order to catch the robbers we had to shine our flashlights one them. I knew this was going to be intense when Alyce said 'You see this scare right here (pointing to her right eye), I got this from playing this game'. Oh GREAT what am I getting myself into. Well at least I was in the car. *wink*

So here are the Robbers: back row - Oscar, Lanson Baumgartner, Eric Ambrose, Kelby Dribnak, front row - Dummar family (husband and Bonnie), Tiffany Dummar, Nephi Dummar, Pam Pett.



Here are the Cops: left to right - Amy Baumgartner, Vicki, Alyce Dribnak, Janae Ambrose, Melissa Lambson, Troy Pett, Brian Lambson.



So in one car was me, Amy, and Alyce, in the other was Melissa, Brian, Janae, and Troy. While we had to wait in the back of the school for 5 minutes we tried to come up with a game plan. We left after 5 minutes and started searching. Boy did the little kid come out in everyone!! We started in one neighborhood by Parkridge School making our way to a field. We started to turn down a road and then both Amy and Alyce screamed something and scared me half to death, but they just wanted me to go a different way. So a slammed on my brakes in the middle of the street and started backing up, just as I did we all three saw someone booking it across the street, WE GOT YOU we screamed!! Hurray for us. So off to the field to search, I thought for sure someone was hiding in the field off the side of my neighborhood, because I saw a reflector and the all of a sudden it was gone. Amy saw the same thing too. We tried to be sneaky by pretending to leave, and sneaking back up to the field but we could see anything. We decided to move on. As we were driving towards the church the other car of cops radioed us and said there was already people at the church. Great! We had already waisted to much time! We tried to check out the high school through the meadows, and then we were circling in the Aultz and Barneys driveways, but we were not finding ANYONE. Afterwards we found out we just kept missing Oscar he would keep diving into to the weeds. We finally gave up with the flashlights and I would just use the high beams and turn in circles. We also thought we had Kelby cornered in the highschool but that turned out to be nothing. Everyone else made it to the church.

So now apparently it was time to switch roles and the Cops were now running back to Endeavor with a five minute head start. After we had our strategy we were off. I started sprinting BAD BAD BAD idea I had barley made it too the middle of the Highschool out of breath. We made it to the fence on the other side and I knew I was in trouble, thankfully the rest of us were too. Amy was a runner though and she was doing great. Our goal was to make it too the Chevron station, Alyce and Janae had it and found a place to hide to catch their breath (inside a car!) We cut through the highschool to make it to Chevron and its a good thing we did because I saw Oscar driving on Happy Valley right by the Chevron, if we stuck to the main road we would have been caught. So Amy of course made it to the Chevron station with time to spare while Melissa and I struggled to get there. Then we called it quits and jumped into a friends Vehicle, Sara Adams!! Yes technically that was cheating but I thought I was going to die and my lungs were on FIRE and there was no way I would make it to Endeavor in 40 minutes. I was too terrified of the dark and the boogie man! Yes I am a sissy!

(BTW this was suppose to be kept on the down low but somebody spilled the beans today so I feel like I can say what happened. )
So Sara rescued us and we went and rescued Alyce and Janae. Then we took the long way to Endeavor. We were still paranoid we were going to get caught so we did a 'drive by' past Endeavor. *smile* We even made Sara take us to the back of the school and we waited until she was gone to come up. Then we hid in a ditch in case them came by and wouldn't get to suspicious of the time. On our way there we saw 3 different police cars, one even had it's lights on. We thought it was going to pull Sara over but it just passed us. So I guess with the first round some neighbors had called in some suspicious activity in the area. I guess that makes me feel like I live in a good area where people are looking out for each other. It turns out somebody had called the cops on Brian since he hid behind their wood pile!!! hahahahahahaha (funny after the fact). They let him go once they realized we were only playing a game, the 'cops' had showed up and convinced the officer he was truly playing a game.

So Oscar's story is this, he was the robber the first time. He booked it down Victory and hid in a ditch by our subdivision when he thought it had been 5 minutes and saw a car coming. Realizing it wasn't us he took off again sprinting to Grey's lane. Then he saw more cars coming so he tried jumping over a fence into a ditch. He cleared the first barbed wire fence, but didn't see the 2nd one right behind it, so this is what happened.......



While he is laying there he sees in the cars passing lights he is steaming because he is so hot and thought for sure he was busted. The cars kept passing so he got up and ran and then hit the ground again because of a car. This time it was one of the other guys he was on the ground behind their car and somehow they missed him. So they drove off and he started running again through all the fields (Aultz and Barneys) This is when we came and was looking. We gave up so he started booking it, and he made it to the church by running through some more fields and army crawling through ditches!! Way to go honey! So sorry about your leg and of course your pants, I told you not to wear them.

So today after feeling guilty because we did cheat I found out that the others cheated TOO!!!! Kelby, Tiffany, and Pam HITCH HIKED a ride, those stinkers!! Now I definitely do not feel bad for what we did. What made it more unbelievable was that Tiffany was the one that kept hounding us at the 'rules' and then she of all people breaks them. STINKER! But we still had an awesome time.

So Oscar and I figured out the only people who didn't' cheat were Nephi (1st), Lanson (2nd), Oscar, Eric, the Dummars family members (Bonnie and her husband), Troy, and Brian that turns out to be exactly half! Oscar is the only one who ended up with visable battle wounds, but a lot of us including me had lung and breathing problems the rest of the night. Today when ever I would laugh I could feel the raspy stuff in my chest.

We have been talking about this all day today and Oscar and Zachary are jealous they didn't get to do it. I told them they get to play capture the flag when they go camping. And also looking back we would have done so many different things, but that's how it always is. We loved this so much we'll have to do it again. Thanks Tiffany and Nephi for an AWESOME night.

P.S. The boys were still able to make it to the fights to see the 'Title Fight' so everyone was happy. *smile*

6 comments:

Alyce Dribnak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alyce Dribnak said...

Love how you explain everything. I'm going to say ditto and send everyone to your blog to read all the details. I just need a copy of the pictures. You too Sara, you know the one on your phone....
As for me and Kelby we are looking forward to the next adventure, but we better hurry before it gets to cold..

Sara said...

I think I'm the one that spilled the beans...sorry!! I made a suspicious face at Tiffany and she was all up in my grill about it so I told her, and then she told EVERYONE! Big mouth...! Oh well, it's all in good fun and I was glad I got to be involved! And I will post the picture that I have as soon as I can figure out how to get it off my phone...

Teresa said...

Hahahahaha...This is hysterical!! How come I never get to be involved with these fun activities when I come for a visit? When you were describing the burning in your lungs it takes me to the same place. We are so out of shape! But I have never been a runner. How can we change that? Thanks for making me smile sis! See you in a week!!! WOO HOO!!!

Heidi, Dave and Reese said...

Your blog is so dang cute! So you must be a Twilight fan:-) I must say, I did enjoyed the movie. Hope you guys are doing well. Talk to ya soon.

Anonymous said...

That was so fun! We really need to do it again. I got something up my sleeve soon,can't wait to share the next adventure with you guys. Everyone was such good sports! Even those that almost got really arrested... :-)